1. Stand your ground on things. If you don’t like something, make it known. Leslie never follows the crowd. If she believes in something, she will fight for it. (ex. Nobody believed she could unite Pawnee and Eagleton, but she never stopped working to bring the towns together and bring peace.)
2. Love yourself. Leslie knows she is a strong and smart woman who can handle almost anything. She understands the importance of loving yourself and knows that you can’t love others if you don’t first love yourself.
3. Love what you do and work hard at it. A lot of people get a job and stay with it for the money or benefits or for the simple necessity of needing a job. Not many people are as lucky as Leslie to find something that they love and can’t wait to get out of bed for. Leslie (who works for the Parks Department of her town and more recently has become a part of the Pawnee City Council) loves her job and everything it entails. Which leads me to #4…
4. Genuinely care about things. When people in the town come to Leslie with problems, she doesn’t solve them just to make herself look good or get the people to leave her alone. She genuinely cares about their problems and making them better.
5. Love waffles. If there’s one thing Leslie loves more than her friends, it’s waffles.(“We need to remember what’s important in life: friends, waffles, work. Or waffles, friends, work. Doesn’t matter, but work is third”) Order waffles. Make waffles. Eat waffles. Smell waffles. Just love waffles. All kinds.
6. Go above and beyond for your friends. Leslie is the best friend anyone could ask for. I really wish she was real cause I would kill to have Leslie as my best friend! From Galentines Day to working on finding Ann true love, Leslie always wants to make sure her friends are happy.
7. Hug people. A lot. Leslie loves hugs and affection and showing her friends and Ben (her husband) how much they are loved. Whether or not they want to be hugged (April, of course, will run away every time) Leslie will chase them down for a hug.
8. Dance (whether you can or not). Bust out some moves and show how happy you are. Leslie will celebrate life’s small victories with a dance, which makes them seem that much better.
Leslie is all about love, good vibes, hard work, strong beliefs, and friendship. Living life like her isn’t always easy, but it sure makes it more fun! April said it best: “And if you’re lucky enough to be her friend, your life gets better every day. She spends every waking moment thinking of new ways to make her friends happy. There is something wonderful about seeing someone who has found her true purpose on earth.For some people, I guess that’s being an astronaut or a hot dog-eating champion. For Leslie, her true purpose on earth, her true meaning, is making people’s lives better.”